Monday, April 7, 2008

My Very Own Classroom


After going to school to be a teacher for 4 years I finally have my own classroom. I completed my student teaching at Scera Park Elementary in Orem. I spent 10 weeks in a first grade classroom there and I thought I was so busy trying to keep up with all that had to be done to make a classroom run. Little did I know, there was much more work ahead. I was almost to the end of my student teaching when a rumor started to circulate the teachers lounge about one of my fellow first grade teachers leaving mid-year. She had just gotten engaged and rumor had it that instead of finishing out the year she was moving to Arizona to plan the wedding. I didn' t think much about this until the principal approached me in the teacher work room and asked if I would meet with him after school. Well to make a long story short I was offered a job as the long-term substitute for that same first grade class that was losing their teacher. I was overwhelmed and excited all at once. I was to start my new job on March 5th.

I had ONE weekend to set up my entire classroom. The whole school chipped in to help. The office ladies helped me punch out, laminate and cut bulletin board sets, My cooperating teacher and new friend Janeal Nuttall put many many hours into helping staple and cut and glue and copy items for my new room. Kyle put in tons of man hours and man power to get my room looking sharp and everyone who saw me in the halls wished me good luck. I probably spent 15 hours that weekend getting everything ready for my new kids. luckily THEY LOVED IT!! My theme was frogs and my students were all Hoppy to see their new and improved room:)





2 comments:

carolyn said...

So there is another Miss Roskelley to grace the halls of a school. Only Aunt Linda is old enough to remember or see Great Grandma Roskelley as a teacher. She would LOVE that you and Rachel became teachers. I love your classroom, how cute is that?? Grandma is so excited she gets to come and see you graduate.

Josh and Rach said...

Love the classroom! Amazing how long it takes just to put up one bulletin board huh?! It is so crazy. I'm not surprised at all it took 15 hours to put up. You should visit my blog too :) It's thegreens2006.blogspot.com